I wonder who came up with the clothing and shoe size numbering and measurements. it is so confusing to me - I never know what size I am. If I just look at all clothes in my closet, I will find at least 4 different sizes - but all seem to fit me reasonably.
Then, today I tried to find some children's clothes and shoes. Well, the clothes were somewhat okay since it has the "12 months" or "18 months" on it - as if to say baby size for dummies. But, I was literally dumbstruck when it came to shoes. The smallest I saw was 4 as far as the shoes but the number had no relevance to anything, it seemed like. I picked up 1 on the box, hoping that would be the smallest. Nope, it was bigger than the 4. I couldn't find 3 - so I settled with 4. But, then I wear 6 myself - so who in the world was so smart here to number them all with no rhyme or reason (well, I am sure there is one somewhere - I just need to find it with a flashlight and a map). Growing up it was simple (well, it wasn't in the States). So, less the number smaller the size. I wear 23 now, but if it is 6 or something then it is for tiny kid.
I wonder if anyone ever though of this and wondered if it could be changed or have those explanation booklets by the shoe department. There is a booklet when you buy a ink cartridge. Wouldn't shoes for children be equally as important if not more as the ink cartridge for your printer? Just my thoughts!
4 comments:
I can totally understand your confusion! Here is a brief explanation.
Infant sizes go by age, 0-3 Months up to 24 Months.
Then toddler sizes go from 2T to 5T. A 2T is similar in size to a 24 Months, but infant sizes usually cut to accommodate a diaper, while Toddler sizes are not.
Then children sizes go 4,5,6,6X,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,16. I am not exactly sure what the heck the 6X is about. There are also slim and husky versions of all these sizes.
Shoes are yet another story ....
They start at 0 (newborn size)and go to 12. Then they start over at 1 and run into the adult sizes, sorta ....
For women's clothes - all bets are off. What used to make sense no longer applies. The latest marketing trend is to mark bigger clothes with smaller numbers so us vain women will get all excited and buy them.
Sorry - I need to amend that explanation a bit. Kids sizes skip size 7, 9 and 11. No clue why ....
That's funny. I know what you mean, it is seriously confusing! Especially baby clothes! The months don't always apply because I bought my friend a newborn outfit for her new baby and her baby was too big for it. Ugh!
With baby clothes if they go by weight it is much better! But, then again, they grow so fast you would have to weight them every day!
Post a Comment