Friday, September 5, 2008

One day at a time

Most of you know my husband is deployed and it is his third. So, you can imagine I get asked the infamous question: "How do you deal with it?" or "even more ridiculous one: "How can you let him go?" Well, I could say something equally as ridiculous and insult someone or I could get all emotional and cry hestirically as they might expect me to do, but I never really know what they expect me to say.

And yes, my answer is and I should say it out loud: "I take it one day at a time and live with a pride that my husband is serving his country and protecting my freedom along with yours."

Yes, I just want to say, I am very proud of my husband for he doesn't just do this because he is obligated, he wants to do it because he feels we shouldn't take our freedom for granted and we need to be willing to earn it. Needless to say serving his country is in his blood. I don't think he will know what to do once he retires from the military - if he ever does - even though he says he will enjoy the retirement.

Since most people don't think much or just being selfish when they ask that: I need to take it with a grain of salt. Thus, I have made it my game to get creative and find something sarcastic or just funny to say and come up with a different answer every time. Believe me, I have gotten pretty bland lately considering I have been asked few thousand times - sometimes more than once from a same person.

3 comments:

Carissa J said...

I'm so grateful for your husband and all the other soldiers defending our freedom! You certainly are right to feel proud :)

KTK said...

I would agree that the second question "How can you let him go" is ridiculous, but I do think that people ask "How do you deal with it" out of concern for you. I believe they mean well, maybe they just don't say it in a better manner because "deal" is a little harsh word in that sentence. Maybe yet better should say "Are you doing alright while Keith is away?" or "Hey, it must get lonely sometimes, let's get together..." Anyhow, I'm grateful for Keith and all the soldiers out there and it feels good to know that my friend is married to a good man. Best wishes for you two.

The Youngs said...

Thanks Tsetsge. yes I did marry a wonderful man. He should be home soon - so I am trying to get the house presentable. :)