Saturday, November 1, 2008

Never say NEVER!!!

Well, I thought my trips to Kansas was over. Nope - it is not. Keith is still there. So, I went back and stayed there for two weeks. One long weekend, we drove 5+ hours down to St. Louis, MO, practically because I wanted to see the Gateway Arch.

So, here it is right in front of us on I-70.


Then, this is from the hotel room. Rising 630 feet high, this stainless steel architecture is quite an engineering achievement. And to think you can actually get inside it and go up top to see the marvelous view of the St. Louis.

This is the old court house in front of the arch. No, St. Louis isn't the state capital, in case you didn't know. Though, St. Louis was the seat of the government in 1812 and then, St. Charles and in 1821, when Missouri joined the Union, Jefferson City was named the capital.

Me, surfing on a log in Mississippi River. Gotcha. Well, the Mississippi river part is true enough.

From the viewing windows - you take this round cabin elevators up to the viewing area. The view is incredible needless to say the ride was fun too. A bit tight for my husband for head and leg space is somewhat limited.

Once you get up on the top, the viewing deck has 16 windows on each side and you are able to see quite far and away. We got the pack ranger to take our picture.

On the way back, we took the country roads, and stopped at Jefferson city - the capital of Missouri - named after President Thomas Jefferson since he made the Louisiana Purchase. It was the pivotal achievement of the third president and Missouri was part of it.

Well, not sure when I will be back in Kansas - but I am sure I will be back since my husband is still there. I guess, I better get used to commuting (long one indeed). So, I won't say never again.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

St. Louis is a great city! Carl is from there and we lived there the first 4 years we were married. The Arch is so cool! I am glad you got to see it.

My first winter in St.Louis was bitter cold. I had moved from El Paso where it never gets too cold. Now I am missing the seasons and would love to feel that crisp feeling when you take a deep breath of cold air.

Carissa J said...

Wow, those pictures are beautiful. That sucks that he's not back in Hawaii yet.

Ang said...

Wow! Those pictures are beautiful! I hope you do get the chance to visit again soon!