It has been a long time - very long time since I have visited this site not along write something here. Well, it is about time, I guess. :-)
I am posting some pictures from our trip to Mount Rushmore during the Veterans' Day weekend. We left Kansas, went up through Nebraska and Iowa stayed overnight at Sioux Falls, SD.
The next day, we drove to Ellsworth, AFB in South Dakota - just a few miles away from Mount Rushmore. This is the picture of the side exit at the Lodge at Ellsworth. Trying getting out through this one. We missed the snow storm by a day and a few hours, but still get to see the snow.
At Mount Rushmore - since it was cold and road was snowy - there weren't too many people.
It is an architectural wonder just for the mere size and how it was accomplished.
There are columns leading up to a viewing platform and each side of the column has a State name and the the date it joined the union with the flag - in alphabetical order. Just happened to take a picture with Hawaii flag in the foreground.
It was amazing to see all the wildlife in South Dakota - it was a bit scary when it got dark and the deers were still crossing the roads, though. This one is right at the memorial parking lot.






1 comment:
Hi Chimge!
Thank you for sharing your travels with us! I grew up in South Dakota and visited Mount Rushmore many times. I haven't been there in so long. Looking at your photos brought back many happy memories. Thank you!!
Wendy
Post a Comment