Friday, March 13, 2009

New step in my swimming

I have been going swimming at Ewa Gentry pool for some time now. It is very nice and heated - big plus and 4 feet deep all around and the laps are only 25 yards long. The pool is closed for cleaning till next week.

We have been to Koolina a few times; but, swimming in the ocean is pretty rough for me and of course, I get distracted looking at the fish and avoiding people playing in the water since I ma not too keen on going too far from the shore. So, I haven't done too well. However, Keith likes it since the lap becomes an actual lap and not turning around every 25 yards - just a few seconds. So, I tend to lay on a beach more and read a book and work on my tan at the same time. Now, I do look like a raccoon faced zebra.

Since, we still wanted to swim at a pool for exercise, we went to Schofield and started swimming at the Richardson Pool. It is Olympic size and it is COLD. I know you are thinking what am I complaining about when I am in Hawaii, right? Well, since the pool is very BIG, it doesn't get too warm ever and it is not heated, so, it is an effort for me to get used to the temperature. And, of course, going 50 meters each way non-stop is an exercise - I got used to turning around every 25 yards and with the turn taking a little breather. :-) So, it is a different kind of exercise and new page in my swimming experience.

I even got to jump off a dive board for the first time. Except a little bruise where I hit the board with the foot, I am alright and actually enjoyed the jump.

1 comment:

Carissa J said...

You are making me so jealous! I seriously need to take a vacation to Hawai'i!