Monday, July 14, 2008

Citizenship

I had an interesting encounter with a stranger today - at the post office of all places. I do go to the post office regularly - very regularly in fact - that most of the employees there know me by name and pretty much know where I am sending what (mostly candies, clothes and what not to my husband, who is in Afghanistan and in turn he will deliver the packages to children in the remote area he is at).

Today while I was sending package to my husband and chatting with one of the employees, this lady at the next counter asked me some interesting questions, most of which I would not repeat here. She was very nice and also pretty naive if I can say that. She asked me to pronounce my full name and wondered where I was from - of course, the first guess was Korea and then China and Japan - and it just went further south... When I told her where I was from and how I got here - she wondered if I was illegal. No kidding. Considering she is actually in Hawaii, looking it dark haired and dark eyed Asian looking people should be the norm not the exception. Would I have told her if I was - well, I am not an illegal, just to make it clear. i told her about my journey in getting a citizenship. She was shocked how insanely hard it was and said "no wonder people just choose to be illegal than go through the red tape."

I don't see it as a red tape - I see it as a way to screen and also help those who are immigrating to this country. Once, you apply and get your permanent resident card (green card), you get this booklet/handbook that tells you: now that you are in the States - nowadays it is pdf file via email . . . It is designed to help you to adjust to the community and the culture. Actually very interesting and useful information in there even though I have been in the States for about 6 years already.

I am glad that I didn't have to break a law to reside in this country - because I have followed the law from the very beginning the steps leading to naturalization got easier.

I just hope the laws would be made clearer and be actually enforced, so those who follow the law have a better chance of getting what they have worked for - citizenship with no third degree treatment.

No comments: