Thursday, March 21, 2013

A visit to Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park: Part I - The Walk

We were looking for something to do today and we remembered right across from our neighborhood, on the other side of the Highway was a park. So we loaded up the car and went there.

It is a big part. Has hiking trails (3) and a play ground and kayak and canoe rentals. It is a very clean park with lots to see and do.

This is the trail head. You have to cross a bridge and then pick one of two trails.

I wanted to look for fish and alligators, but did not see any.
Here I am trying to get a closer look at the alligators.
Using my official hiking pointer I am choosing our trail.
The trail goes along the Bayou so you can see the water.
It is a wide trail, but the roots kept tripping me.
Another water check, we heard a Dolphin.
Ok, it was a long walk, so I chose to ride the pack animal. Well his face is furry like one.
A piece of history. It is a 500 pound training bomb. The sign says the Doolittle Raiders dropped it while training at Eglin for their top secret mission.
Here I am helping Auntie complete the grueling 1/2 mile walk.

So far the park checks out. It was a little cool, in the low 60s, so I am wearing my jacket, just in case anyone is wondering.

No comments: