We continued our travels along US Highway 98 until we reached Pensacola, Florida. From there, we traveled to Pensacola Naval Air Station. I had been there recently for a drill weekend so I knew the National Cemetery was there. As is always the case, I find it impossible to pass without taking a few minutes to pay my respects to the fallen and my fellow veterans.
A very breezy day lends itself to all the flags flying in full display.
Row upon row of white stones. These are on the newer side of the cemetery.
Nomin escorting Christopher through the gardens. Still too young to understand, but when he is older, I hope he will understand why we always stop.
And as always is the case when I go through the gardens I pause to reflect briefly upon the lives of those who have served and those who have fallen in the service of our nation. The vast majority buried here served from one enlistment to retirement and lived out their lives. However, a small number made the ultimate sacrifice. The very least I can do is pay my respects and honor their memory with a picture and a few words. For it is our nations promise to them, that we will never forget them or their sacrifice. For they gave up their tomorrows so we can enjoy our todays.
PFC Matthew Christopher Colin, November 16, 2011, Kandahar, Afghanistan, 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division
SSG Christopher L. Brown, April 3, 2012, Kunar, Afghanistan, 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division
LCPL Marcus Mahdee, May 9, 2005, Karmah (near Fallujah), Iraq, 3rd BN, 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force
TSGT Walter A McClellan, April 17, 1945, Germany, United States Army Air Corps
TSGT McClellan remains were recovered in September 2008, a recovery team of the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command, exhumed his remains in Burkhardswalde, Germany. He was a crew member of the "Towering Titan" a B-17 Flying Fortress that was down by enemy fighters during a bombing mission over Dresden, Germany. An excellent example of our nations promise that we will not stop looking until they are all accounted for....
The cemetery was divided in two sections and this is the view as you enter the older half.
A picture across the gardens. The closet stones date to the Civil War and far stones to the 1980s. Long before the it was a national cemetery, it was a military cemetery. The remains of thousands of American Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen rest here in honored company.









No comments:
Post a Comment