Thursday, October 3, 2013

The hardest part of the trip, saying "Good-bye"

After graduation, Chimge and I were able to have dinner and spend a little time together. At about 2230 on 1 October, we returned to her barracks where she completed her packing and did a final touch up on the room. I stayed till the last second and help as I could. 
Chimge and all her belongings.  A total of two roller bags, a ruck sack, a duffle bag, a weapons case and a pillow. Talk about a lot of gear.

Chimge and Winstead, both were leaving directly to Afghanistan. Many of her classmates had later report dates and got to go home first.

Waiting on the room inspectors.

The last picture we got together.

The advantage of having your spouse there is the car carried all the bags to the bus pick-up site.

Everyone loading the bus. Each person had 4 or more bags, so the cargo section filled up fast.

Chimge boarding the bus.

Chimge getting comfortable for the three hour ride to Houston.

The door closed....

and away they went at 00:45 on 2 October 2013
 
I was very sad for our visit to end. But, if the trip did not begin, then it would take even longer for her to come home. We had a great visit and I have no doubt that she will have an exciting tour.
 
I was very glad to get a text that they arrived safely in Houston at the airport. The driver did ask me and the Air Force personnel before he left how to get there.  From Houston Chimge flew to Atlanta and onto Norfolk, Virginia. Then she caught a flight out of United States Air Space to points unknown.
 
May God Bless her in her travels and return her to us safely at the end of her mission.
 
"We love you and miss you so very much.... My Love"
 
* Name withheld was Fort Polk, LA.

No comments: